Dental Implants 101
Get the beautiful smile you want
You’re not alone! According to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, nearly 70% of adults have at least one missing tooth due to an accident, tooth decay, gum disease, or dental fractures. You may lack confidence or feel self-conscious about your teeth but dental implants are a natural-looking and durable option to replace missing or damaged teeth.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are tooth root replacements which provide a solid foundation for removable or permanent replacement teeth. They are made up of strong titanium metal that is inserted into the jawbone through oral surgery. The fusing process between the implant and jawbone, known as osseointegration, creates a strong and long-lasting anchor for an artificial tooth, also referred to as a crown, to attach to. This crown looks and feels natural, and can last a lifetime if properly cared for.
Benefits of Dental Implants:
- Implants will restore your smile and self confidence
- They are more comfortable than bridges or dentures as they don’t move, make noises or need to be resized over time
- Implants are a permanent and long-term solution with more than a 95% success rate if properly cared for
- Implants will slow down or stop the further deterioration of the jaw bone which could lead to future tooth loss and changes in the facial structure
- Implants look and feel like your own teeth
What is the Implant Process?
Anyone seeking dental implants should seek out a highly trained and board certified oral surgeon. Dr. Dan Nielson is a licensed surgical provider in Kansas and Missouri, and has extensive experience in oral and maxillofacial surgery as well as general dentistry.
- Dr. Dan will create an individualized treatment plan to prepare for your dental implants.
- During surgery, a tooth root implant is placed into the bone socket.
- Your jaw must heal for several weeks. As it heals, the bone grows around the implant assisting in anchoring it into the jaw.
- Once the healing process is complete, Dr. Dan will make impressions of your existing teeth to replicate your bite for a customized fit of your new crown(s).
- These crowns will be color matched to your existing teeth, and connected to the artificial root implant with a connector post (abutment). No one will ever know they aren’t your own teeth!
Today’s modern dental implants look and feel more natural and are customized to fit your mouth for the best smile possible. Call our office for an appointment today!
Posted on Tue, December 23, 2014
by Great Plains OMS